The US army says it has intercepted a barrage of missiles and drones fired by the Yemen-based group.
The USA army has stated its forces efficiently fended off an assault by the Houthis, a Yemen-based armed group, whereas escorting a gaggle of three industrial vessels by the Gulf of Aden.
The US Central Command (CENTCOM), which oversees US army actions within the Center East, stated on Tuesday that two destroyers intercepted a barrage of cruise missiles and drones launched from Yemen.
“The destroyers had been escorting three US owned, operated, and flagged service provider vessels. The reckless assaults resulted in no accidents and no harm to any vessels, civilians or US Naval,” CENTCOM stated in a statement.
CENTCOM Forces Defeat Houthi Assaults on U.S. Navy and U.S.-Flagged Ships within the Gulf of Aden.
U.S. Navy destroyers USS Stockdale (DDG 106) and USS O’Kane (DDG 77) efficiently defeated a spread of Houthi-launched weapons whereas transiting the Gulf of Aden, Dec. 9 – 10.
The… pic.twitter.com/Jz4AtqBuEL
— U.S. Central Command (@CENTCOM) December 10, 2024
US forces within the area have exchanged fire with the Houthis for months, because the group seeks to dam sure industrial ships from travelling by the Crimson Sea. The group says these actions are a method of exerting strain to finish Israel’s conflict in Gaza, of which the US is a key supporter.
However the US has depicted the Houthi attacks as a risk to commerce and freedom of navigation.
“These actions mirror the continuing dedication of CENTCOM forces to guard US personnel, regional companions, and worldwide transport towards assaults by Iran-backed Houthis,” CENTCOM stated.
The three US-flagged industrial vessels had been crusing in direction of Djibouti when the US stated they got here beneath assault by “uncrewed aerial methods” and one antiship cruise missile.
Two US Navy ships, the USS Stockdale and the USS O’Kane, responded to the assault. Citing an unnamed official, The Related Press (AP) information company reported {that a} US Navy helicopter and French Air Pressure plane additionally helped repel the assault.
Collectively, they shot down 4 of the drones and a missile, based on the AP.
Regardless of months of US efforts to place an finish to the assaults, together with numerous strikes on Yemen, the Houthis have continued to focus on army and transport vessels within the Crimson Sea and the Gulf of Aden.
At first of this yr, the US army reported that the Houthis had carried out 27 such attacks in lower than two months, from November 19, 2023, to January 11.
The Yemeni group additionally claimed responsibility for a drone assault in central Israel on Monday.